So I’ve been doing Photo Of The Day now since the 30th of March and i’ve only missed out on a few dates. These misses have mostly been down to not being able to actually connect to the interwebs. I’m quite happy with this project actually.
The point of it has been to force myself to be creative each day in a small way. Even though most days i am being creative with my job its good to push myself in this area too cause i’ve found it to be sometimes really difficult.
My POTD alert goes off at 1:45pm every day. As you can imagine, on most occasions i am at my desk at the same time either thinking about, consuming or remembering lunch. The crunch point is that it is starting to be difficult to think of how to take a unique photo of my surroundings when they are always the same.
Yes I could go outside but that defeats the purpose a little bit. I pushing my creativity here and so i want to push myself to be creative about a subject that is so familiar to me that its hard to see it in a different light. I don’t want the result to be that i have hundreds of photos of my desk but i would like to see quite a few photos of similar things done very differently.
I think i’ll have to start tagging my fav pics too.
So i made some tweaks to this current theme.
It was all getting a bit too messy with all the twitter related posts so i thought i’d sort it our and I made the decision to remove any twitter posts from the main pages. At the moment they can only be viewed on my twitter page but they are still being posted to the site. I’ll address being able to access them separately on another day i think.
In doing all this i did want to be able to still use the sidebar for tweets but the plugin I use for twitter integration (twitter tools) doesn’t give enough control for being able to sort it so I decided do it manually just to see if i could and thanks to some code from WPRecipies i’ve been able to make it work.
Here’s a list of the main tweaks:
- Widened entire theme by 100px
- Widened sidebar by 100px
- Created “Latest Tweet” module at top of sidebar
- Gotten rid of global image borders in favour of content section only borders – was making the “my linkage” thumbs look messy.
- Cleared global link underlining in favour of text only underlining for links which prevents images from having the annoying underlined but (still exists for hover).
- Changed some of the “My Linkage” thumbs.
- Sorted the page navigation for archived posts at bottom of page.
- Tidied the footer text.
To see the main differences see the two images below:
So far I’m happy with the results but i suspect more tweaking will follow.
I’m realising that with all the twitter activity that is resulting from my new phone i think i will be needing to tweak the design on this site again. I dunno if that means it will only be a tweak or if it will be something bigger. The fact that WordPressV3.0 is soon to be released suggests it may be better to wait to see what things that will make easier.
I kind of like the idea of using the new Theme structure to start from scratch and create a really cleane theme. This one here is an utter mess at the back end but it function – just about.